Retrievers Topple Marist, 14-8, Win First NCAA Tournament Game Since 2007

photo by: John McCreary
photo by: John McCreary

Poughkeepsie, N.Y. – UMBC outscored Marist, 7-0, over a 30-minute span in the middle stages of the game and defeated the host Red Foxes, in the NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships Opening Round Game.

UMBC (7-8), which has won four straight games, will advance to the round of 16, where they will face the No. 1 seeded Penn State Nittany Lions. The contest will be played in University Park, Pa. at noon on Sunday, May 12.

Severna Park grads and sophomores Steven Zichelli and Trevor Patschorke led UMBC with three goals and one assist apiece.

Sophomore goalkeeper Tommy Lingner (Fort Salonga, N.Y.) entered the game nine seconds into the second quarter and saved nine of 11 Red Fox shots on goal.

The tournament win is UMBC's first since a 13-9 victory over Maryland in 2007.

UMBC trailed, 6-5, at the half, but took the lead for good just 2:21 into the third quarter. Steven Zichelli knotted the score at 6-all just 46 seconds into the period, then the Retrievers took the lead for good at 7-6 on a score by Brett McIntyre (Calgary, Alberta) at the 2:21 mark.

The Retrievers added two more third quarter goals to lead 9-6 after 45 minutes and tacked on two more early in the fourth quarter to lead 11-6 with 8:00 on the clock.

UMBC held Marist off the board for 30:51 until the Red Foxes threatened with back-to-back fourth quarter goals to trim the gap to 11-8 with 6:36 remaining. But UMBC captured the draw, and McIntyre scored on great look from Jack Andrews (Annapolis, Md./St. Mary's), starting another 3-0 UMBC surge to end the game.

Senior midfielder Billy Nolan (Crofton, Md./Arundel) added two goals and one helper, while junior attackman Ryan Frawley (Mountain Lakes, N.J.) and McIntyre scored two goals apiece in another balanced UMBC offensive effort.

The Retrievers outscored Marist, 10-2, over the final 38 minutes of the game.

The Retrievers never led in the first half, but erased 2-0 and 3-2 deficits to forged 2-2 and 3-3 ties late into the first quarter. Steven Zichelli got UMBC on the board first at the 8:11 mark, then Frawley knotted the score at 2-all at the 12:05 mark. After Marist re-took a one-goal lead, senior midfielder Josh Jordan (Lunenburg, Mass.) launched a missile past the Marist goalkeeper to tie the score at 3-3 with 1:13 to play in the period.

But Marist scored with five seconds left and led, 4-3, after 15 minutes.

The Red Foxes extended the lead to 5-3 just nine seconds into the second quarter, and UMBC inserted sophomore goalkeeper Tommy Lingner (Fort Salonga, N.Y.) into the contest. Lingner would stop three of Marist's shots on the goal in the final 14:51 of the period. Patschorke (2:26) and Billy Nolan (12:41) sandwiched goals around a Red Fox score and Marist took a 6-5 lead into the break.  

Frawley became the tenth Retriever to score 40 goals in a season, while Patschorke (32) eclipsed the 30-goal plateau.