Men's Soccer Posts First Clean Sheet of '19, Play Red-Hot Hartford to Scoreless Double OT Draw

Men's Soccer Posts First Clean Sheet of '19, Play Red-Hot Hartford to Scoreless Double OT Draw

West Hartford, Conn. – The Retriever men's soccer team posted its first clean sheet of the season and gained a key road point with a 0-0 double overtime draw at Hartford's Al-Marzook Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The Retrievers head home for five consecutive games at Retriever Soccer Park with a mark of 3-5-1 and 0-1-1 in America East. Hartford extended its unbeaten streak to eight and sits at 6-2-2, 1-0-1.

Sophomore netminder Quantrell Jones (Baltimore, Md./Kenwood) made three saves to post his first shutout since blanking Stony Brook, 1-0, in the 2018 America East semifinals.  

The visitors took 11 shots, compared to just 3 for the red-hot Hawks over the final 65 minutes of action. The Retrievers had the game's final chance after a Hawk foul with four seconds left, giving UMBC a 42-yard free kick. Icelanders Dadi Ingasson and Orlygur Omarsson nearly pulled off a late game miracle, but Omarsson's header from seven yards out just missed the frame.

UMBC's best first half chance occurred in the 25', when freshman midfielder Ryan Becher's (Hummelstown, Pa.) strike hit the outside of the left post after a corner kick opportunity. Hartford would counter and Jones had to make his first save of the game just over a minute later.

Each keeper would make shutout-preserving, in-tight saves early in the second half. Hartford's Jimmy Slaton denied Retriever freshman Julian Conze in the 50', then Jones got a hand on a Rasmus Karlsson reply six minutes later. Neither keeper was seriously tested throughout the remainder of regulation.

The Hawks had the best chance in the first overtime, as an innocent-looking attempt by Nyrik Antoine ticked off the far left post in the 97'. UMBC had all four shots in the second overtime, but Hartford blocked the first three and Omarsson could not convert in the final sequence.

Becher led all players with four shots, while Conze added three.

For the game, UMBC outshot UH, 14-8, and took seven of the game's dozen corners.

UMBC now leads the all-time series, 11-7-4 and is 3-4-3 in games at Al-Marzook Stadium.

The Retrievers play at home for the first time since Sept. 14 when they welcome Liberty to Retriever Soccer Park on Tuesday, Oct. 8. Kick-off time is slated for 7:00 p.m.