Austin, Texas - UMBC's Ilia Rattsev (Moscow, Russia) was selected to the 2019-2020 CoSIDA Academic All-America® Division I Men's At-Large Third Team, as selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA).
Rattsev is the…
- 25th different UMBC student-athlete to be cited by CoSIDA since 1977.
- Second Retriever swimmer to be honored and the first since Keilan Freeman was cited in 2011
- Lone America East student-athlete to earn a place on one of the Men's At-Large teams
"Ilia has always been that one-of-a-kind person," said head coach Chad Cradock. "He is dedicated, hard-working and driven. The minute Ilia got to UMBC, he knew his priorities. He is not only a great student and athlete, he is a better leader and friend. Being only the second swimmer of all time to receive this honor shows that it takes someone special. Both Keilan and Ilia surpassed all expectations to receive this award and we are grateful it was accomplished with our program. Ilia will be successful in everything he does."
The UMBC standout just graduated Magna Cum Laude with a 3.97 grade-point average in the major of bioinformatics and computational biology. He was a finalist for UMBC's 2019-20 valedictorian award and will be doing post-baccalaureate studies at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine where he will be conducting research on pharmacogenomics and drug resistance.
Here is a partial list of Rattsev's athletic and academic accomplishments…
- The 2020 America East Champion in the 50, 100 and 200 freestyle events, becoming the first America East swimmer to win the three freestyle sprints in three consecutive championship meets
- Named the America East Elite 18 (best student-athlete at the championships) award winner,
- Named the 2020 ECAC Swimmer of the Meet, capturing the 50 and 100 freestyle
- Broke the UMBC Natatorium record in the 200 freestyle and part of three relay squads that set new pool marks in 2019-20
- Broke his own school record in the 50 freestyle (19.71 at ECAC Championships)
- A three-time 2019-20 America East Swimmer of the Week
- Selected to the 2020 America East All-Academic Team
- Earned the UMBC Matt Skalsky Outstanding Scholar-Athlete Award
- Tabbed 2019-20 America East Men's Swimming & Diving Scholar-Athlete
- Earned the league's David Alexander Award, for easily amassing the most points during his league championship tenure
- A team captain for the second consecutive season
2019-20 marks the third consecutive year that a Retriever has been honored (Joe Sherburne, 2017-18, Nick Griffin, lacrosse, 2018, Sherburne, 2018-19)
No less than 31 of 46 members of the 2019-2020 CoSIDA Academic All-America® Division I Men's At-Large teams have at least a 3.90 GPA, with 20 student-athletes maintaining a 4.00 GPA as either undergraduate or graduate students.
For more information regarding the CoSIDA Academic All-America program, visit https://academicallamerica.com.